This modern playhouse is an easy DIY project using 16mm pine plywood or OSB (oriented strand board), both of which are affordable board materials that can be placed outdoors after being treated with a suitable exterior sealer or varnish.
Note: Two people will be required to assemble the playhouse.
YOU WILL NEED:
1 of 1200 x 1200mm – base
2 of 44 x 44 x 1200mm PAR pine – base supports
1 of 1200 x 1232mm – front panel
2 of 44 x 44 x 1100mm PAR pine – front uprights
1 of 1000 x 1232mm – back panel
2 of 44 x 44 x 900mm PAR pine – back uprights
2 of 1200 x 1200mm – side panels
1 of 1320 x 1320mm – roof
2 of 44 x 44 x 20mm PAR pine blocks – roof support
Pack of 50mm long stainless steel decking screws
4 of 4 x 40mm cut screws
Drill / Driver plus assorted bits
Jigsaw and clean-cut blade
If using shutterply or pine plywood for this project, sand smooth with 120-grit and then 180-grit sandpaper to remove any splinters.
1. Attach the front and back base supports by drilling through the base into the supports. Use 4 decking screws along the length of each support.
2. Measure and mark and then use a jigsaw to cut out the openings for doorway and window as shown per diagram below.
3. Measure and mark 60mm up from the bottom edge of the front panel. Attach the front uprights 16mm in from the side edges. Drill through the front panel to secure the uprights, using 4 decking screws spaced along the full height. Also screw along the bottom edge of the front panel into the base, using 4 decking screws equally spaced along the length.
4. Cut out a 600mm diameter circle in the back panel before attaching the back uprights using the same method as for the front uprights.
5. Measure and mark at 1000mm on one edge on both panels. Cut away this section using a jigsaw to create the slope for the roof. On one side panel cut out the window opening using the dimensions shown in the diagram. In the opposite side panel use a jigsaw to cut out assorted circular shapes.
6. Mount the side panels onto the front and back uprights, also securing along the bottom edge into the base. Use 4 decking screws spaced along the height of the uprights and 4 decking screws equally spaced along the length of the base.
7. On the front end of the roof panel measure and mark 56mm in from the side and 66mm in from the front. Use two 40mm screws to secure the roof blocks on the marks.
8. Position the roof with a 40mm overhang at both sides, aligning the mounted blocks with the front corners. Secure onto the frame using decking screws spaced equally along the front, back and sides.
If you plan to leave the playhouse outdoors, apply exterior sealer or polyurethane varnish to protect from the elements.
GOOD TO KNOW
It is recommended that you drill a few 10mm holes in the base to allow for water drainage in the event that the playhouse is installed outdoors.