In a new series of easy DIY projects, we will be regularly adding plans for you to make various furniture projects. This week we show you how to make a wall-mounted desk.
You can have all the board required for this project cut to size at your local Builders Warehouse or timber merchant. By having all your board cut to size means that all you have to do is assemble and finish the desk.
The wall-mounted desk is made of 16mm SupaWood, which can be painted in your choice of colour.
GOOD TO KNOW
Sand all the cut edges with 240-grit sandpaper to polish and then paint the individual sections before assembly.
YOU WILL NEED:
2 of 500 x 1200mm – desk top / base
4 of 150 x 470mm – shelf dividers / sides
2 of 150 x 40mm – side ends
1 x 150 x 736mm – wall mounting board
2 of 350 x 480mm – side supports
1 of 150 x 1166mm – base support / back support
4 x 30mm cut screws
Pattex No More Nails adhesive or wood glue
Choice of paint to finish
Drill / Driver plus assorted bits
Jigsaw and clean-cut blade
Tape measure and pencil
1. On the desk base measure in 216mm and 232mm from both ends and mark on the top and bottom. Drill 3mm countersunk pilot holes through the bottom for mounting the shelf dividers. Also measure in and mark at 150mm and 166mm and pre-drill for mounting the support.
GOOD TO KNOW
All pilot holes should be 50mm in from any edge.
2. Secure the support to the underside of the desk base.
3. On the desk top measure and mark at 216mm and 232mm from both ends. Drill 3mm countersunk pilot holes through the top and attach the shelf dividers.
4. Place the desk top on the base and secure the shelf dividers through the base.
5. On the side supports measure and mark 20mm down from the top. Measure and mark 150mm in from the back. Draw a diagonal line to join these two marks and cut the angle with a jigsaw. To secure the side support to the base, drill 3mm countersunk pilot holes through the top of the base.
6. Position the back support 20mm up from the bottom of the side supports and secure by drilling 3mm countersunk pilot holes and 35mm screws.
7. Glue the side ends in place on the desk sides using Pattex No More Nails; clamp and leave to dry.
8. Glue the sides in place.
9. Place the wall-mounting panel in the centre section and drill 3mm countersunk pilot holes through the top and base. Use 35mm screws to secure. Use this panel for securing the desk onto a wall using wall plugs and screws.
GOOD TO KNOW
While step 9 is shown as the last step, include this assembly with Step 3 above for easier mounting.
Not responsible for errors or omissions.